Thursday, January 21, 2010

More on the Chickens!


This is the nice man who brought us the chickens. He had to put together their coop for us in the rain.


A very wet day.


Once the coop was mostly assembled Martin laid down the bark for them to scratch around in. The bark is a bit of a mess and although we have now completely covered the coop to keep out the rain, it still gets wet. Alternatives will be explored.


This is Shirley. She was the last one out and kind of fell down the stairs. She is really pretty although we thought she would be all black. Maybe when she gets older.


This is Laverne. She is a bit aggressive. Today she pecked me as I opened the door. I think she thought my finger was a grape.


Here you can see the border Martin made just for them. This helps keep the bark from getting everywhere. He's handy.

They seem pretty well adjusted except they sleep where they are suppose to lay their eggs. I have covered the hole that allows access to this area. Hopefully they won't peck their way through. I am very anxious to get them out of that cage. They have plenty of room but I want them to roam. We have foxes in the area so unless we are at home, this is the safest place for them. It kills me.

A had a comment asking about the cold. I too was worried about this. Winter did not seem like a sensible time to get chickens! However, they're chickens! They will be fine I have been assured.

This weekend we go on our pig farming course so I will have to wait until Sunday to play with my girls. I look forward to summer when I can let them run around before I leave for work and when we get home. I have bought them a ball covered in seeds to help them beat the boredom. And I can't wait for my first egg!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable photos. As a fairly new pet owner, I am in love with having a pet generally. Um... why "Laverne & Shirley"?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Why not? They needed names and I liked the idea of naming them after a famous woman duo. The problem however is that no one in the UK knows who Laverne and Shirley are so it isn't as amusing to them. I thought about changing them but after the initial thought, it was too late-the names stuck!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

Martin did a great job on the border. I especially like the fact that it's low in front (for the door) so you still get a full view of the chickens from the kitchen.

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the fact that no one can sing that Laverne & Shirley song makes the chicken names more YOURS. When Americans come for a visit, it's like a little piece from back home waiting for them :-)
Smadely

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home