Sunday, June 06, 2010

Bye bye birdies



Before I can write a post on our wonderful trip to Turkey (Kalkan Smadely) I must first pay homage to Laverne and Shirely, RIP. Sadly while we were away they had an unfortunate encounter with a fox from which they did not survive. Our dear neighbor who was watching our girls forgot to put the hatch back on after checking for eggs. A sly fox took the opportunity to have an over night feast and Laverne and Shirley are no more. Bless our neighbor, he felt awful, and promptly found us replacements who are now roaming our garden, getting use to their new home. As sad as I am, accidents do happen. Poor Martin actually found out before I did but kindly waited until we were on the way home before telling me. He pretended to get the text message at the airport in London and I proceeded to burst into tears. My first pets, gone. I am surprised at how sad I am-but I did love them. It has been a good lesson for me though-don't name the barn yard animals! These facts of life I will have to get use to before we move our lives to the country but we were oh so hopeful Laverne and Shirly would have overseen our flocks of hens, where-ever we end up. So long ladies-miss you already.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Really tough to take; I'm so sorry.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad! I would think something was wrong with you if you weren't attached to L&S. I hope the new additions have long and fruitful lives! Looking forward to more about Turkey,

Laura

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the only good thing here is the realization that you live in a metropolitan area where there actually ARE foxes to covet the hens. I imagine that problem will be much more severe in the country, whenever you get there...
So, no names for the new hens???
Smadely

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home