Monday, January 25, 2010

PIGS!

Here are some highlights from our pig farming course. These are very very big pigs! But not scary at all! Pigs are not aggressive, unless you get in the way between a boar and his lady.


The one below is a saddle back. So named for the white band around its middle.

These little pigs were only two days old! Not sure who is more uncomfortable, Martin or the pig.

Looking for some attention. They are very social. And make a lot of noise!


This is me trying to feed them. They aren't very patient so took me a little while to actually get the food in the trough.
The course was really really good and I had a great time. We learned how to give pigs injections when they are sick or need worming, take their temperature, tell how a sow is in heat how to artificial inseminate, how to tell if she is pregnant, how to tell if she is about to give birth, how to pick up and hold piglets, how to feed, how to make a profit, etc etc. We learned a ton! I think the most important thing I learned was that it is all possible. You just have to go out and do it. You won't make a ton of money, but you will make a profit. And if we try it, decide we don't like it, than at least after trying it out with three pigs we haven't lost any money but hopefully made a few pounds. It has turned into something we talk about and consider to something I actually want to do!

Now I know you are all at home thinking I'm crazy. Has she forgotten she is a vegetarian? Um no. I have not. But the thing is, people are not going to stop buying meat. So instead of just saying the status quo is not acceptable, why not provide an alternative that is? If I want people to start thinking about what they eat, why not provide them with something they can feel good about eating? I was very impressed with the farm we went to. So much so that even though I had the vegetarian meal, I did try the pork and sausage. (just a little bit) I did not like the pork. Not surprisingly, I liked the sausage. And the sausage was pure pork, not made out of the ears or cheeks or other nasty parts, but the actual meat parts of the pig. The woman who ran the farm was a vegetarian for 25 years and now she eats only products she makes or is locally grown. That could be me! It is something to think about but I went away feeling inspired. Something to think about for sure.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just don't name the pigs any cute names.
Smadely

8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Amber,

please don't eat me. I'm just a little pig, trying to make it in the world.

Love,

Wilbur*"

*penned by Charlotte

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read raising children around farm animals, like pigs, is very healthy for them (the children that is). There was a National Geographic article a couple years back about the allergy epidemic in kids, but that children raised around farm animals have, I believe, no occurences of allergies. One more reason ;-) And then too, when we come to visit, I could eat pork with no worry or guilt ;-) By the way, you're inspiring me with those chickens...we've got room for one of those cool looking coops you have. We'll have to talk ;-) Kate

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home