Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A responsible consumer

I recently listened to a radio program recommended to me by sister on KQED about eating organically and how you are probably not eating as well as you think and blah blah blah. It was very informative and after listening to it I remembered why I became a vegetarian in the first place. (or at least one of the reasons why) By eating meat we are literlly destroying our planet, leaving nothing for our children, neices and nephews. We are turning our farmlands into waste lands, making them unusable for generations to come. And then I thought about how I buy most of my fruits and vegetables. Do you know that most of the fruits and vegetables you buy, especially if you buy organic, come from Mexico. Mexico? I live in California, shouldn't I be able to buy these things from local farmers? Think about all the pollution caused by the trucks used to import these fruits and vegetables, not to mention the gas and oil used as well. So I decided to only buy locally grown produce. (I discovered the Mexico fact when trying to buy locally grown organic fruits at my local produce store. I was shocked!) I may sound like I am off my rocker to you but as a consumer I feel it is important to support the smaller farms who grow organically in hopes that some day, maybe, small farms will spring up all across our country and we don't have to rely on produce grown in Mexico. This has turned out harder than I thought. Most produce stores do not sell locally grown fruits and vegetables. Except for avocados. I have been eating a lot of those, which is fine with me cause I love them. I have yet to figure out when the farmers market is at Civic Center but this will solve most of my problems but it is just amazing that I live in CALIFORNIA and I am having such a hard time with this. I thought it would be easy. It just seems to make more sense to me to support my local farmer, especially those who grow organically, and encourage a market that is kinder to our environment. Haven't we been tough on it enough?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ginny said...

You are kind of crazy, but at least you are aware of that! I think that the farmer's market is on Thursdays and Sundays at civic center.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home