Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Dos and Don'ts of Eating Out

Last night was my last night at La Med and oh what a night. I don't think I have ever worked that hard. It was blazing hot and the Jewish Film Fesitval is happening and I feel like everyone and their mother was in the Castro wanting to eat at La Med. It was one of those nights that just make you want to cry. In honor of my last night I thought I would post some dos and don'ts of eating out from the waitress perspective. People can drive you crazy!

1) Do not seat yourself. Especially at a dirty table. Ever.
2) If you need three things, glass of water, tobasco, extra napkin, ask for them all at once, not one at a time.
3) Do not ask your waitress her name. She doesn't want to tell you.
4) When paying the bill put the credit card/cash ON TOP of the check and not underneathe. I have no way of knowing to pick up the check if you hide the payment.
5) Do not let your waitress know you want the check by raising your hand and writing check in mid air with an invisible pen. Also do not wave your hands wildly to get her attention. Simple eye contact will sufice.
6) If your waitress has asked everyone at your table of four if they want soup salad or potato salad when they ordered their entrees, you can be pretty positive she is going to ask you too. Don't make her say it again.
7) When the waitress is telling the table soups, or telling your friend what the soups are, listen. Don't make her say it over and over again. ( I will not miss telling people what avogolemono is. "Lemon chicken, rice and egg blended together into a puree")
8) If you are talking on a cell phone do not expect a waitress to come to your table and take your order. She is assuming you are too busy on the phone to talk to her.
9) Be nice to your waitress! People seem to forget sometimes I am a person and will be so rude. Don't be rude! I have feelings and I am the one bringing your food to the table. Do you really want to piss me off?
10) Don't tell me you didn't like your meal after you have eaten all of it. Tell me in the beginning of the meal when I can do something about it. Don't tip me badly because you didn't like it. I have no control over what happens in the kitchen.


I am sure there are a ton of things I am forgetting and maybe I will update as I think of them but right now I am too tired. Last night I had waitressing nightmares and if you have ever worked in the service industry than you know what I am talking about.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amber, what I would like to know is do they put ice in your drinks, that is more than just a couple dribbles of an ice cube? I remember when in London, I ordered a coke and it came with no ice. I proceeded to ask for ice, at which they brought it back to me with just a couple of pieces on top. I didnt dare ask for more. No matter where I went it was the same thing, couldnt understand it. And then, finding a place that sold cold beer was another thing, I guess the serious beer drinkers drink it warm, I dont know. You mentioned about always getting food on you, same exact thing with me, Steve and I laugh about it. Did hair for years, colored peoples hair with no cover-up, nice clothes on and all, never ruined any of them. Get me around food, forget about it!!! Guess I am enjoying it so much, I forget about being careful. Bye Amber, Maryanne

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home