Wednesday, November 05, 2008

VICTORY

What a good day to wake up to! I didn't stay up to watch the results as we don't really have cable and the election wasn't on 24-7 like I am sure it was in the States. But first thing this morning (I don't even have to be at work until noon and I STILL got out of bed) I turned on the TV and was greeted with the great news. I am so excited! I am very proud of America, for recognizing how much we need change and going to the polls to vote for it. This election has been so important for so many reasons and how exciting to be alive to see it. I can't wait to go to work and say, see, I told you America was ready for a change. I think the most interesting thing is to see the reaction of foreign leaders, who seem impressed we have voted in our first black President. Perhaps it will help do away with some of our negative stereotypes and help show the world we are not a racist nation. I think what makes me feel even better about his election is the wide spread excitment about it. There has been coverage here of Washington and Times Square where thousands of people have congregated to celebrate. When is the last time that has happened after a presidential election? Congratulations Obama-I can't wait to see what you will do for us. I am hopeful you can get us out of this mess!

(By the way, my gloating was disrupted when a colleague came up with a story about an American being interviewed after the election. This person is reported as saying, "he may be inexperienced and he may be black, but he isn't a woman!" Give me a break!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may not have heard that celebrations on Pennsylvania Avenue just outside the White House went on past midnight! Newscasters speculated that President Bush was able to hear the noise past bedtime ;-) He was cool though and invited the Obamas to the White House. McCain's concession speech was good too in spite of a few knuckleheads booing. We have gotten emails and phone calls from people in Australia and Indonesia congratulating us on the results. Weird, huh?
Smadely

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home