Monday, August 11, 2008

The Olympics

The Olympics are a good reminder that I am no longer in America. Not that I am not reminded everyday but it isn't often that I think I am in America to discover that I am not. This happens when I watch the coverage of the Olympics. All the commentators talk about is the UK this and Great Britain that and I always think to myself, "who cares? why is there no coverage on the Americans?" And then I remember. I have to say though I was inspired today by the enthusiasm shown by the announcers. They get really really excited any time Great Britain is doing well. They are almost shouting with anticipation. It is hard not to get caught up in it! So far I am really enjoying the Olympics this year and look forward to turning on the tele to watch them. The opening ceremonies were really something else.

I went on a run yesterday and I felt like I was in a Nike commercial. I don't know what it was but there was such an energy about everyone out there. Maybe it is the spirit of the Olympics, or the nice wind that seem to be at our backs. Or maybe they had just seen Mama Mia and were listening to Abba on their IPODs like I was. Training is going well but I missed my long run last week. Why you ask? Umm, because it was too windy. I am no stranger to wind on runs, and bike rides for that matter, but when you can hardly walk forward because the wind is so strong it doesn't seem like a good idea to try and run 17 miles in it. I think my legs could use the break anyway even though I did just have a rest week. The weather has been atrocious this month. I know, I say that every month. It is August and it feels like November.

All moved into Martins (for those of you I have spoken to in a while, I moved in with Martin!) and so far so good. To be honest, I really like it. It makes me really happy to know I get to see him everyday. We could do with more space and it is a struggle to try to keep things tidy but I like living here. He is off on Friday to ride his bike around Scotland so keep him in your thoughts and send good riding vibes his way.

I have read several good books lately. Two I highly recommend are the Accidental Fundamentalist and Mr Pipp, which I think might be a new favorite. Don't be fooled by the cover of Mr. Pipp like I was. I was given it as a present and at first I though, oh dear, this looks like a girly book. But it wasn't girly at all. It was really something special.

The garden is growing growing growing and although we have been able to have some zucchini the tomatoes are taking ages to ripen! There are about 20 of them on the vines and they are all green. And have been for like a month! I look forward to eating them soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Amber,
Here's what you are missing on the US Olympic coverage: MICHAEL PHELPS 24/7. Oh wait, I forgot--MICHAEL PHELPS. Did you know he eats a lot of food? I can tell you where he eats out when he's at home in the US--there was a story on his favorite take-out restaurants (because he doesn't have time to cook, you know). His arm span is 6'7". Did you know he could beat Mark Spitz's record 7 gold medals in a single games? Did you know he's possibly going to win 8? Do you know the name of his coach? (It's Bob.) Do you know his mom's first name? (Barbara, I think!)
Oh, okay, I exaggerate. There's the two beach-volleyball babes too. Did you know one lost her wedding ring while playing? We saw the Chinese dredge the sand and use metal detectors to find it after the match. Then they filmed her getting her ring back. Then they told us who she was married to, and did a piece on what it was like to be married to an Olympic athlete. Every single match they play has been broadcast. Did you know Bush went to one match? Did you know he touched one of the players on her lower back by way of an "atta-girl!"? Do you think that's demeaning? There was a piece on what that gesture might have meant.
Then there's "Team Redeem" which must capture the gold in basketball to make up for our bumbling performance last time. Every slam dunk is carefully broadcast on replay reels in case you missed the coverage.
Football? I think you mean soccer... but I don't know for sure, because we don't watch it here in the US.
On the fluffier side, every reporter is obligated to file a story about eating fried scorpions or they will look like a wuss. And Matthew is fond of reminding us that in Beijing, it is rude to eat all the food on your plate... you must eat no more than 80% or it looks like the host didn't feed you enough.
Hope this helps you get over feeling like you've missed ANYTHING by watching US coverage!
Smadely

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home