Friday, September 18, 2009

Beet root soup with orange and mint


Mmmm, in a word, gross. The problem here is two fold. One, I don't like beetroot. The only reason this soup was made was because we thought we had beetroot in the garden and I thought a soup would be a good way to use them. It turned out we didn't have beetroot but very large radishes, which look a lot like beetroot in the ground. The other problem is this soup is a very bright red. I have a hard time with bright coloured food and this just did not look appetizing to me. Pretty, but not something I would want to eat. I got this recipe from my Deliah vegetarian cook book and usually the recipes in there are pretty good. So far I have been disappointed with all the soups I have made from this cook book and this one was the last straw. I am giving this 2 mooneys. I am not totally writing it off because initially the taste was quite nice. It had potential. I think things would have helped if I had grated the zest more finely. As it was I didn't and you would get a mouthful of soup with orange zest and it wasn't nice. Plus, not everyone will have the same aversion to bright coloured food like I do. It just seems weird to me.
Martin has taken the day off work so I am off to play in the garden. We are going to Poole for the weekend and Strictly Come Dancing starts tonight. (The UK version of dancing with the stars) Needless to say I am soooooooooooooo excited.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Wouldn't the fact that you used radishes rather than beetroot make a big difference in the taste?

(I posted the deleted comment; misspelled something.)

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home