Friday, October 23, 2009

No news is good news?

There has been some quite on the blog front, mostly because I am working all the time now and when I get home or stop working the last thing I want to do is look at a computer. I don’t even want to watch TV! Hence the sharp decline in posts. I will try to be better.

Things in Britain are moving a long. The job at the British Library is going well and is interesting for the most part however I still manage to feel okay about writing a blog post on a Friday afternoon instead of doing the work I am suppose to be doing. Why is this? We’ll call it my lunch break. I like working here and I think it is a great experience however lately I am noticing how much I don’t like working. I really resent having to spend a good chunk of my life inside an office doing things that in the grand scheme don’t really matter. I think I would much rather doing something that actually produced something. Like farming. We’re looking into. Don’t laugh, I am being serious. We’ll see but I like the idea of working hard and being able to look up and see what I am working hard for. I don’t like the idea of working hard and looking up and seeing four white walls. What is inspiring about that?

Off to see Martin’s new niece this evening to celebrate his dad’s b-day. We had the opportunity to meet her last week and she is a doll. I want to eat her up. I have since been on the prowl for cute baby girl sweaters I can knit her and I can’t wait to get paid so I can buy some wool to get started! The possibilities are endless!

What else…mmm, not sure. I have been missing running lately as it is difficult to fit in now and running in the dark-either in the evening or in the morning-is not appealing. Hopefully I will be able to fit in a couple this weekend. And with the clocks going back this weekend I might be able to start considering going in the morning. Hopefully Martin will be better about waking up and doing this than I have proven to be. I try not to wake up a minute earlier than I need to.

Oh, here is some exciting news-the pub two doors from our house caught fire! Obviously everything is fine however it was a bit scary. It was evening and we smelled smoke however didn’t think too much about it as we had used the fire place for the first time in months that evening and that it was just that. But then when Martin was getting ready for bed he saw smoke was coming from the wall dividing our neighbour’s yard to the pub’s yard. He called to make sure it wasn’t burnt fish cakes and upon learning it wasn’t he phoned the fire brigade. Apparently the fire was in the basement of the pub. It did not spread and there was no damage to our or our neighbour’s place, although it smelled strongly of smoke for several days. The pub is now closed and boarded up. It is being investigated. Seeing as how it has been shut for several months we have our suspicions about what might have started it but can’t say for sure. It was pretty exciting but also a very good lesson. Smell smoke? Take a look around. Don’t make assumptions. If we hadn’t seen the smoke who knows what could have happened. We are very lucky it wasn’t worse. I have pictures and will post them when I get a chance. The fire fighters were there all night!

Big news in Britain today is about the BNP leader being allowed on a popular question and answer program featuring British politicians. The BNP stands for the British National Party and basically wants Britain to be free of any foreigners. In the most racist sense imaginable. The party has managed to secure two seats however so the BBC had to put the leader on this show out of fairness as the BBC is suppose to be non-political. We watched it last night and he is an outrageous sort of man. Now he is complaining of being set up and bullied. Which he probably was but I don’t think people really care. He described the Klu Klux Klan as being “non-violent”. Oh dear.
Here is an article about the show...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8322322.stm

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I heard what the Church of England (former?) Archbishop of Cantebury (spelling) had to say about that party and the candidate's statements... sounds like a doozy of a show!
Smadely

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home