Friday, January 27, 2012

FIVE Eggs!

Yesterday I was going to write about how egg production has increased to FOUR eggs, yet there was still one lazy, although clever chicken who was yet to produce. I like to call her smartie pants chicken, (that isn't her official name of course, she isn't allowed to have one because of poopy pants Martin) as she is a tough one to catch and is a bit more switched on than the other chickens.



For instance, I typically whistle and throw food into their run when I want to lock them up, as they will typically run right in and I can close the door quickly. Well, smartie pants chicken knows this is what I am up to and won't come near the door and instead tries to drag the food with her beak from the holes on the outside to where she can get it. She won't let me pick her up so a chase usually ensues and I have to get Martin to help me so we can kind of herd her into the chicken coop. I have a very funny image in my head of Martin's dad having to do this one time, and how he has cursed smartie pants chicken ever since for making him look a fool, chasing her around the yard, trying to get her into the coop. (He thinks she was laughing at him all the while and I had to explain, she's a chicken, she can't laugh)

I was starting to get concerned she was never going to lay any eggs and I would have to have another sit down with her, but then I opened up the hen box and found FIVE EGGS!



I'm so proud of my little chickens. Well done ladies, you can all lay eggs. Martin won't have to have any of you for supper.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed my head off at this story about "smarty pants" and "poopy pants "!!! K8

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just going to write something about "poopy pants" and saw that Kate beat me to it.

Love,
Mom
x

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story makes me think of "Ginger" in the movie "Chicken Run." I don't advise seeing that movie now that you are raising chickens!
Smade

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home