Monday, April 28, 2008

The Gathering and A Thousand Splendid Suns

I have finished two books recently, having read the last one in two days. We'll start with The Gathering which took me a bit longer.

The Gathering by Anne Enright is basically a tale of a woman who is going through a tragedy. I found it very difficult to read. It wasn't because I didn't the story engaging-I could in fact understand a lot of the family dynamics she brought into focus as she too has many siblings. I mostly had a hard time reading it because it depressed me on so many levels. You have to deal with the subject of the book, which is loss, and how people cope with it-which this woman does not do very well. She goes into her family relationships, none of which sound very healthy, and then speaks about her own family, which she seems to neglect. She places her children as the highlight of her existence however fails to connect with them, the same way perhaps her own mother fails to connect with her. I finished the last few chapters rapidly as I just wanted it over and done with. I ended the book wondering if this woman had any friends. It made me sad as it left me feeling that all relationships are doomed to failure, at some point in time. I was glad when I was done reading it.

A Thousand Splendid Suns was a different story. Written by the author of Kite Runner, this is a book about several women who live in Afghanistan that spans several decades. They each lead different lives in the beginning yet at some point all suffer the same repression, in one form or another. Parts of the book are predictably disturbing but I found myself unable to put the book down. I want to say the book was good but for some reason I am not able to commit to this statement. I think because I wish it had gone into more detail about the feelings associated with wearing a burka and having to live a life where men are kings and women are worthless. That said though, I think if the author had gone into too much detail about this the book would have been more political and heavy then perhaps the author wanted. Regardless, I really enjoyed reading this book-it was the perfect way to spend a long train ride and a rainy Sunday afternoon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. X said...

What kind of book genre do you enjoy reading the most I wonder...Philosophy, Realism, or Sci-Fi & Fantasy?

These days I find myself more focused on the things I want to make happen "Dreaming into reality" sort of speak. But most importantly, creating new thought patterns to enhance the creative process in my mind. My goal, to know-how to have a more fulfilling life existence etc…

If happiness is a state of mind that can only be achieved and experienced on a sporadic basis by people; then it is just a matter of making a shift in our thought process, so that we can be more productive at enjoying one’s life experience and having those sporadic moments happen more often right? Right…

Life is what you make of it, I think. And if all we have to do is learn to create a more positive reality…relationships can be far more rewarding and dynamically fulfilling. (This is coming from me, a guy that experienced the most horrible past three years of his life in a very passionate yet, unfulfilling relationship.)

To put it in visual terms, imagine squeezing an orange so sweet, you cannot have enough of it. Squeezing it to the very last drop and then enjoying its sweet juice. Yes, satisfying and rewardingly tasteful…what a great and fulfilling relationship that would be! simply exquisite!)

Anyway, by this, I mean that I try to squeeze the most out of my day, every day. And I try my best not to let other less positive thought patterns enter my mind. It hasn’t been easy, but I started six months ago and I am now starting to enjoy the fruits of my new thought pattern behavior. =)

For that reason, and in case you have not read these books yet. I think you’d find them entertaining, enjoyable, and perhaps you too can start to enjoy the fruits of your thinking pattern labor a few months from now. ;) I am not saying that you don’t have fulfilling relationships…all I am saying is that this stuff worked for me, and it could possibly work for you as well. Case in point is…if all else fails, at least you learned something new. “Learn, Practice, Teach,” -Jim Rhon

Just a thought…

Cheers and Health! =)

The Secret
By Author Rhonda Byrne
# ISBN-10: 1582701709
# ISBN-13: 978-1582701707

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
ISBN 0-06-095832-4

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amber, I just finished reading "Kabul Beauty School" and what I liked about it was that you could clearly see how flawed the author was without her personal flaws detracting from what she observed about life in Afghanistan. It was an interesting book, since she's a hairdresser and her take on women and sisterhood was totally different from what you might expect! Also reminded me a lot of Maryanne.
Can you believe I had time to read a book??? I guess hating your job has some benefits... you no longer work so hard that you don't have time to read!
Smadely

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home