Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Love In the Time of Cholera

I finished this book not to long ago and loved it. I had read 100 Years of Solitude by the same author a couple of years ago and I couldn't get into it. I think I had a hard time with the magical realism and getting my head around what exactly was going on. I have since read other books of the same genre, The House of the Spirits being one, which I really enjoyed, so I am curious to go back to 100 Years and see if I like it more this time around. Anyway, Love In the Time of Cholera was an excellent book and I highly recommend it. I think what I liked about it was it reminded me what it felt like to be a young girl who fancies herself madly in love. I could totally relate to the feelings expressed and how quickly they change. I can relate to the emotion of thinking you like someone and then in one small glance or movement or action it all changes and forever more you think of them in a totally non sexual, non intimate way. I think this book was a very interesting portrayal of relationships and how they can mean very different things to each person involved. I thought the writing was beautiful and I very much enjoyed reading this book. A winner. (literally. I think it won the Pulitzer but I cannot be sure) Now I am reading a biography on Mao which is not nearly as much fun and as soon as I get paid I am going out and buying a book that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home