Friday, December 12, 2008

Stupid Credit Crunch

Yesterday I lost my job at Credit Suisse. I am officially a lady of leisure. Until March that is which is when they stop paying me and I have to look for another job. But until then I am not allowed to work as I am still officially a Credit Suisse employee so I am forced to take some time off and do who knows what. I am already of thinking of knitting projects I can work on. And maybe using those Spanish CDs we got a while back. Despite all the negatives that go along with losing ones job, there are a couple of positives. One is I have Martin. He has been really amazing and I am not sure what I have done to deserve him. The other is I will get to apply for a skilled migrants visa and not have to rely on an employer to give me a work permit to stay in the country. This means I can contract and earn more money. I am sad I lost my job, I really liked it, but it could be a lot worse. They could not have paid me for as long as they are. And I could be going through it alone. I wish I had my friends and family around me but I am pretty lucky to have Martin and his family and my small group of friends here to support me. And my colleagues were really great yesterday. They all rallied behind myself and Emma, who also lost her position and bought us flowers and cried along with us. It was a long afternoon at the pub as they all stopped in to buy us a pint and to say goodbye. So, as they say, every cloud. But I am still sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home