Monday, July 11, 2005

And what a weekend it was

I hosted a bridal shower for my friend Yuri this weekend and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect. I was excited to do this for my friend and wanted to make sure she felt happy and loved, but at the same time I wanted to make sure the guests had fun as well. Because really, the only person a bridal shower is fun for is the bride. No offense to the brides out there but I can only watch someone else open presents for so long. I have the same problem at Christmas. I was very pleased with the shower though. It was a small gathering and went pretty well I thought. I was sad because I had to work that night but I figured either A) they would all go out and I could meet them later or B) they would all go home and pass out.

Lets just say neither of those things happened. I left for work around 6:00 and although I had some wine to drink at the shower I was confident my serving skills would not be affected. At this point my roommate Brian, or as I like to call him, Stinky, had returned home from a soccor match and my other roommate Genie had ventured downstairs. They started to dig into the left over food and poured themselves some wine. Most of the people from the shower were still there when I wanted to leave so I told them to stay, finish the wine and I would call them later to see where they were.

When I got off work, I called Yuri (also known as crackhead for reasons other than drugs) to see where they were. She didn't pick up so Bryan and I decided to meet some friends at a bar. I then called Stinky to make sure everything had gone well after I left. (insert Irish accent) "Mooney, where are ya? Everyone is still here. We're waiting for ya. And can ya pick up some more wine?" This is when Yuri takes the phone from Stinkiy and also asks for more wine. Apparently no one had left after I went to work, and had decided to hang out at my house until I got home. So Bryan and I go to the store, call our friends and invite them over, and I proceed to get three more phone calls requesting more wine.

I didn't know what to expect when I got home. I wasn't looking forward to it. When you get off work from waitressing, the last thing you want to deal with is more people. When I opened the door I felt like Norm from Cheers. Everyone shouted my name upon my arrival. Several people came to hug me while others promptly went for the beer in my hands. No one could seem to focus very well but everyone seemed to be in great spirits.

I won't go into the details of the night. It was fun. Yuri seemed happy and that is what matters. There was a lot of singing and dancing and I love my friends. They are good people. I mean, you gotta love people who call out your name when you walk into a room right? I guess I am telling this story because every once in a while you are reminded how great your friends are and how much you love them and how nice it is to sometimes be suprised by them. This was not a story to demenstate that my friends have drinking problems :-)

Todays GRE word

Debauchery-indulgence in one's appetites

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Debauchery" seems an appropriate GRE word, given the theme on your entry today!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

wedding= free bar!! :-)

7:29 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

We appreciate your disclaimer.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home