Thursday, August 17, 2006

Safe and Sound

I would post a picture but I can't seem to find my connector thingy so just words will have to suffice. I was originally going to post this blog with the title of "what a fucking day" but seeing as how that day is over I won't. My flight here was actually enjoyable-or as much as a 10 hour flight can be. There was over 50 movies for me to choose from and my vegetarian meal had cheese in it and I got to move into an emergancy row seat (my previous seat was surrounded by babies) and free booze! I arrived in London at 12:30 but didn't get to my accomendations until 4:00. For the most part lugging around two huge suitcases and a carry on was not that big of a hassle. It was a bit scary getting on and off the escualtor and I did have to DRAG my suitcases up three flights of stairs but it could have been much much worse. I am staying at a flat type rental place and it is somewhat lacking. If nothing else it encourages me to leave as soon as I wake up and not come home until it is dark. Today I went to the National Gallery where I saw some of my favorite artwork (admission is free) and walked about seeing West Minster Abby and Parliment. I also looked at two apartments, one I really liked and one not so much. It is fun getting to know the city and the tube but the bus system remains a mystery to me and I will wait until I am more settled to figure it out properly. Here are some notes about London...

Thousand Island dressing makes anything taste delicous

Being an American in Britain is not all that embarressing

Being alone I now understand why people spend all day at a pub-it is the only place where you most likely will meet someone harmless who wants to talk to you AND buy you a pint

The tube is expensive

I look younger than 18 as I have already been carded (unheard of where the legal drinking age is 18. How old do they think I am???)

London is expensive but you can get by reasonable cheaply if you are willing to eat pre-made sandwiches and visit the grocery store every day.

The men here are not as ugly as I thought they would be.

There is so much more I know but it will all have to come later, with pictures. Where is that damn thing anyway???

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to your new home city. Nice to know you're safely there.

Mom

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thousand Island dressing, huh? I suspect that will be a key survival skill while you're there, particularly if you don't have money. But, perhaps you'll find a good, inexpensive Indian food restaurant (yummy!). Glad to hear you're there safe and sound, Chicky Babe. I look forward to hearing about all your adventures over the next year! Klm

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being that this is the first time I have actually read your blog, I thought I would say something. Ginny is always griping about how people read her blog and never comment. I just won't do that anymore. It's like the list of bad things to do at a restaurant...only it's about the ettiquette of blog reading.

Anyway, i am really glad you made it safely to London. We were worried for a little bit until you sent a concise email saying, "I'm her safe and sound." So much for being verbose.

I shall also like to comment on Thousand Island dressing...

My Dad loves is so much he even mixes it himself. None of that store-bought stuff. (mayo, relish, and ketchup) Yeah he's crazy. And come to think of it, I think it's the mayonnaise that he likes the most, because he'll put that luscious white goo on just about anything. Maybe I'll start a blog about what my Dad puts mayo on.

Just to leave you with an idea of his weirdness...mayo and soy sauce on eggs.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home