Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inauguration

It has been a week now and I am only just now writing about the inauguration. Sometimes I go through phases when I forget about my blog! But last Tuesday I got together with an old flatmate of mine from San Francisco who now lives in London and we headed to the most American place we could think of; TGIFridays. Oh dear-it was so American and tacky and I was seriously tempted to order some spinach and artichoke dip just for old times sake-but didn't! But it turned out to be a great place to watch as there were heaps of other Americans there and tourists who didn't know any better.

I feel there has been a lot of backlash about people wanting to get over the fact that Obama is the first black president and to just get on with it. But I felt very strongly that his inauguration should be a celebration of this fact. In was history in the making. Again I felt that rare pride in America as I watched him being sworn in. I thought I was going to cry-but didn't. People cheered when he came on the screen and high fives were given all around once it was over. There was a tremendous amount of booing every time W appeared on the screen and lots of comments about Cheney being in a wheelchair. I personally enjoyed watching the Obama's as a family unit. There seems to be actual love between them and it is nice to see. Refreshing you might say. However, I think the most special thing about that night was I watched the inauguration with people from all over the world, all of whom were excited about the change Obama represented. In our group alone there were two Americans, a Jamaican, a Brazilian and our token Brits. It was very special-yet we did leave as soon as the swearing in was over because there is only so much of TGIFridays a person can take.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm disconcerted... Obama's a lefty and he SMOKES. Why didn't someone tell me before the election????
Smadely

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home