Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Deed Has Been Done

So, it is all over. We took our first two pigs to slaughter. I think I feel worse for poor Rosey, who is now all alone, than I do for the two boys we sent away.

As I said before, I was worried about the logistics, particularly getting them into the trailer. But once that was done, I felt much better. The whole experience was stressful, but mostly because it was new. We didn't know what to expect and didn't know how the animals would behave. But in the end, it was okay. The people at the abattoir were very nice, and didn't make too much fun of our attempts to back the trailer in. The pigs were relaxed, they weren't scared when we sent them off, and the people were gentle with them. Coming home we were quite, contemplating what we had just done. But overall, we are proud of ourselves. We are proud of the standard of living our piggies had, and proud of the way we sent them off.

I have tried thinking about being responsible for the death of life on a deeper level, but for some reason, I can't think too deep about it. I don't feel guilty, and I was really worried I would. Instead I have a firmer belief that I want to raise pork people can feel good about eating. And that is tasty too!

Tomorrow we pick up two new piggies and hopefully they will keep Rosey good company. I don't really have any pictures of yesterday, but here is a picture of some sheep that went running with me today...



In my head they are taunting me...catch us if you can pig lady...

Oh, AND I did try to give my first pig injection to Rosey today. It didn't go well. I got the needle in but she obviously felt it and ran away before I could depress the syringe. I don't want to say there was blood everywhere, but there definitely was some. Might need Martin for this one. She wouldn't let me try again. She did let me hand feed her carrots to make it up to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home